According to statistics provided by the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death among children in the United States.
Often, these injuries are avoidable, specifically if child safety seat laws are followed. The Yost Legal Group promotes child safety initiatives across the state of Maryland.
Maryland’s Child Passenger Safety Laws
- Maryland’s current law required children under age 8 to ride in an appropriate child restraint, unless the child is 4’9” or taller.
- Child restraints include car seats and booster seats. Be sure to use federally approved child restraints.
- The laws applies to in-state and out-of-state vehicles.
- It is the driver’s responsibility for making sure all children are correctly buckled up.
- Children under the age of 16 are not allowed to ride in the bed of an unenclosed pick-up truck. Some counties outlaw the act for all passengers.
- It is illegal to place a rear-facing child seat on the front seat if there is an active air bag.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration makes the following suggestions when it comes to child safety seats:
- Check the seats labels to make sure it is appropriate for your child’s age, height and weight.
- Keep your child in a rear-facing seat for as long as possible, usually until the age of 2.
- Harness straps should be at or below your child’s shoulders when rear-facing. When facing forward, the straps should be above the child’s shoulders.
- Make sure the child safety seat is tightly installed. You should not be able to move the seat base more than 1 inch on either side.
- Booster seats should be used with shoulder belts, not lap belts.
The Yost Legal Group is experienced in helping individuals and their families who are victims of car accidents. The Yost Legal Group has the experience to investigate your accident, determine what negligence was involved and fight to protect your right to full and fair compensation.
If you or a family member is ever injured in an accident that was not your fault, you need an experienced personal injury lawyer. Do not try to handle your claim on your own.
Contact The Yost Legal Group at 1-800-Yost-Law (1-800-967-8529) to speak with an experienced Baltimore car accident lawyer for free. One of our experienced Maryland Accident lawyers will work hard to protect your rights and handle of the details surrounding your case. If someone was at fault, we will fight to get you the compensation and the justice you deserve.
To find out more about your rights, please contact the experienced and knowledgeable car accident attorneys at The Yost Legal Group.
Call 1-800-YOST-LAW (1-800-967-8529) to speak with one of our experienced car accident attorneys today.
The Yost Legal Group will help you find answers. If you have questions, call to speak with an experienced Baltimore personal injury lawyer for help.
The Yost Legal Group, Experienced Lawyers Dedicated to Protecting your Rights.