More Americans than ever are opting for motorcycles as a fun and low-cost mode of transportation, but along with all of the benefits of riding a motorcycle come quite a few serious hazards, too.
In fact, motorcycle riders have at least a five times greater risk of being in a traffic collision than automobile drivers. If you are a motorcyclist who has been injured because of someone else’s carelessness, please get in touch with the Baltimore, Maryland law offices of The Yost Legal Group today for a free consultation.
Motorcycle Accident Factors
There are a number of factors that can result in a serious or even fatal motorcycle accident, from driver inexperience to motorcyclists traveling at high speeds. A large percentage of those accidents are caused by another driver, or someone else’s negligence. Some of the common causes of motorcycle accidents are:
- Automobile or truck driver moving into a motorcyclist’s right of way because he or she failed to see the bike (This accounts for 30 percent of all motorcycle accident deaths in the U.S.)
- Drug or alcohol use by motorcyclist or automobile driver involved
- Unacceptable road maintenance (potholes, debris, loose gravel) or road defects (pavement ridges)
- Driver fatigue
- Undivided roadways
- Uneven roadways
- Defective mechanics of the motorcycle or other vehicle involved (such as brake problems)
- Inadequate highway/street lighting
- Heavy traffic and failure of other drivers to adhere to traffic rules
- Aggressive driving
- Inclement weather
- Excessive sun glare that limits ability of car drivers to see motorcyclists
Motorcycle Accidents Can Cause Serious Injury
Motorcyclists are far more vulnerable than the drivers of automobiles, because the motorcyclists have so little protection. Injuries from motorcycle accidents can include serious issues like spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, amputation, wrongful death, as well as other serious injuries.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident that you believe was caused by someone else’s mistake, please contact the experienced Baltimore, Maryland motorcycle accident injury attorneys at The Yost Legal Group to discuss your specific situation.
Free consultation: Call 1-800-YOST LAW or complete the contact form below to learn more about how we can help.