People Are Injured Every Day Due to Distracted Driving Across Maryland
Distracted driving is a selfish decision that thousands of Americans make every day. When drivers choose to be distracted on their phone instead of concentrating on the road, they are not only putting their own lives on the line, but also the innocent lives of motorists and pedestrians around them.
Looking at Maryland specifically, it was found that 80 people are injured everyday due to distracted drivers. Not to mention there are 53,000 distracted driving crashes in Maryland every year that result in 28,874 injuries. These alarming numbers shed light on how serious distracted driving can be and the deadly consequences associated with it.
Texting used to be the culprit behind distracted driving, but it has now expanded to social apps such as Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, Google Maps and Spotify to name a few. Below are some shocking statistics that expose the dangers associated with distracted driving:
- 9 people are killed every day by distracted driving across the U.S
- 70% of teens admit to using mobile apps while driving
- 48% of adults admit to texting and driving even though they know it is unsafe
- The risk of being in an auto accident is increased 4x when you pick up your mobile device
To read more about distracted driving in Maryland, click here.
At The Yost Legal Group, we want all Maryland motorists to drive as safe as possible. That means never using your mobile device while operating a vehicle. It is that simple.
The Governor’s Highway Safety Association advises these following tips to keep yourself and others safe on the road:
- Turn off your phone. Turn off your phone or put it in silent mode before you get in the car, then stow it away out of your reach.
- Pull over. If you ever need to make a call or send a text, reduce your risk of getting in an accident by pulling to a safe spot on the side of the road.
- Use passengers. Ask a passenger in your vehicle to make a call for you or shoot a text, as well as navigate directions for you if needed.
- Refrain from eating, drinking, reading, grooming and smoking. These activities distract you from the road and increase your odds of being in an accident.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a distracted driver or in any type of motor vehicle accident that was not your fault, call The Yost Legal Group for help and guidance. We have years of experience dealing with all types of Auto Accident and Injury cases, and we promise to represent your rights to the fullest.
Call The Yost Legal Group today at 1-800-YOST-LAW (967-8529) to speak with an experienced, dedicated and compassionate car accident attorney about your case. You will receive a FREE, confidential consultation with a Baltimore Auto Accident attorney. If you’ve been injured, don’t wait. Call today.
The Yost Legal Group – Experienced Lawyers Dedicated to Protecting Your Rights.