In 2014 alone, approximately 6.1 million police-reported crashes occurred across the United States. These motor vehicle accidents resulted in a total of 32,675 fatalities, and an additional 2.3 million injuries.
Automobile accidents, truck accidents and motorcycle accidents occur every day, and are often caused by the negligence of the other driver.
Negligence is the primary cause of traffic accidents. Driver negligence can happen because the driver is:
- Simply not paying attention
- Under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Driving carelessly
- Failing to obey the rules of the road
To show that someone is negligent, it must be proven that:
- A duty was owed (every driver has a duty to control his or her vehicle at all times)
- The driver at fault breached that duty (by failing to control their vehicle properly)
- An injury was caused
- The driver’s breach of their duty caused the injury
Other conditions that may cause traffic accidents include:
- Traffic congestion
- Road construction
- Unexpected debris or an object in the roadway
- Sun glare
- A person’s unfamiliarity with the roads
Whether the other driver’s negligence was intentional or accidental does not matter. Due to the other driver’s negligence, you may be confronted with many types of issues, including:
- Damage to your vehicle
- Temporary or permanent injury
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Lost current or future wages
- Pain, suffering and diminished quality of life
- Wrongful Death
Many people injured in traffic accidents call their insurance company first, and many never even contact a lawyer. Either one of these actions can be a big mistake. Calling your insurance company first may cause you to unwittingly give away some of your rights. Failing to contact an attorney may mean you will lose out on any compensation and other important rights you are entitled to under the law. Insurance companies hire lawyers to protect their financial interests, and it is in your best interest to seek legal advice before it is too late.
Pursuing Your Traffic Accident Claim
When driver negligence causes a traffic accident, it is grounds for a lawsuit, and you may be entitled to compensation. It is not a good idea to deal with your insurance company on your own without the assistance of a qualified traffic accident attorney. Your insurance company won’t reveal this information, but the knowledgeable traffic accident attorneys at The Yost Legal Group understand personal injury law and will work closely with you to investigate the facts, build your case and aggressively pursue your rights.
Please contact The Yost Legal Group to schedule your free traffic accident consultation.