Twin girls were exposed to toxic lead paint in a Baltimore rental property between 1996 and 1998. Testing revealed that both girls were found to have lead levels more than 400% higher than the current action level for pediatricians set by the CDC. In 1998 one of the girls was diagnosed with a speech disorder, and at age 19 her reading ability was at the level of a 4th grader. The other twin had behavior problems starting around age 3, which continued into her adult life. The mother and daughters settled their case against the Landlord before trial for $1,900,000.